Friday, June 29, 2007

enjoy the silence.

"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." --Proverbs 17:28

So one of these days I'm going to learn to keep my mouth shut. I think I'm a much better writer than talker. I mean, my writing might not be eloquent, but I can only think of a couple of times when something I've written has come back to bite me in the butt. Don't get me wrong--I've left in writing my share of idiot-markers along the road, but I don't feel quite as bad about having to retract something I've left in writing as I do about having to clean up spoken-word spills. I guess it's because I'm not as awkward on paper as I am in real life. Telephones, voicemails, and camcorders are my sworn enemies: put me in an arena with any of these contraptions and watch them hack away at my usable intellegence quotient. Hmmm.
So I guess there are one of two lessons to be learned here:
either
1) I am a human anachronism who should have been born before the age of word-capturing devices (and born mute, as an added safeguard)
or
2) I should quit speaking as much as I do.
The first item isn't really a lesson to be learned, but a one-item list looks kind of dumb. Come to think of it, this post looks kind of dumb. I take back that part about me being less awkward in print than in person.

--the management

3 comments:

h3rndon said...

having just left june, i guess we're on our way back now.

please don't stop talking. there is a long list of people who should shut up before you.

Anonymous said...

Insightful.

A. Jones

s. wells said...

you should write something again, since you're so good at it.