Thursday, January 11, 2007

nothing of important importance.

i'm mostly writing today to stay in the habit of writing. nothing notable has happened today, so i guess i'll flash back to my december car wreck. i'm still not sure what happened there. i was watching the road. i was not speeding. i looked down at my clock for two seconds, and when i put my eyes to the road again, i noticed that the car in front of me was stopped. i don't remember brake lights, but since my brain went directly from realization-mode to panic-screensaver, i can't be completely certain about the status of my accidental target's brake lights. or maybe they had a radiator-seeking back bumper. i'm pretty sure it was someone else's fault, because, frankly, i'm american. americans pass the buck. we even pass the buck when it comes to passing the buck. it's not my fault that i just passed the buck--i'm american. anyway, one amusing observation that emerged from said events requires an extended flashback: i began the morning by realizing i had locked my keys in my car the previous evening. i was really frustrated about that. to the point of cursing my car. it was obviously my car's fault. a friend of mine, John C, had a slim-jim handy, so we proceeded to remedy the situation. we took great care in unlocking my car, so as not to damage it. i'll pause to let this point sink in. ... anyway, John later said that, in light of the ultimate fate of my car, he should have just opened it the easy way-- by throwing a brick through the window. now that all is said and done, i find it funny that i was frustrated by the adversity inherent in the now obviously insignificant situation of having my vehicle rendered useless due to locked-up keys. it's ridiculous that i complained about that. if God hadn't aquiesced (as if he really ever does that) to my temper tantrum and let me have my way, my keys would have remained locked in my car, and i probably wouldn't be writing about this right now. the moral of the story: don't complain. if ever i need perspective on this issue, i need only step out on my front porch and wonder where the front end of my car went.
--jlm